May 30, 2010

Warrior Dash Complete!

As a followup to my last post, Warrior Dash was awesome!!! We stayed in a beautiful cabin in Mountain City with our friends, the Dicksons and Strunks. To get to the cabin, there were a variety of twists and turns on a very steep climb up the mountain, invoking the occasional ear pop as well as a few nervous giggles and squeals (we’ll pretend those only came from the girls).  Luckily, my husband is an excellent driver (better than Rain Man) and took us safely up and down throughout the weekend.

On the day of the race, we arrived in time to register and see the first wave of Dashers start and finish. We were in the third wave, so we had about an hour and a half to be spectators and enjoy the loud and cheesy announcers at the obstacles in the finish line area. I had butterflies the size of Kirstie Alley in my stomach before the race, although it’s quite possible those were heart palpitations caused by the free Monster energy drink I consumed about an hour earlier. (Thanks to my friends for talking me out of chasing the Monster with a Sugar Free Red Bull. Bad idea all around.)

My husband, Chris, and I ran the entire race together (even though he could have easily left me and finished much sooner – thanks babe). The obstacles were challenging, but all were doable with a little bit of un-ladylike grunting. I was a little disappointed to get soaked so early on in one of the water obstacles because that meant jogging in water-logged tennis shoes and socks for the duration of the race. However, I was surprised when we got to the finish line a lot sooner than I anticipated. Unfortunately, it was not because we were super speedy and all around bad ass (although I like to pretend that I am). A portion of the race, which we believe was about 8/10 of a mile of uphill/downhill running, was removed for reasons we still don’t know.

Here we are before and after the race:

You can’t really see the mud on my red shirt, but I’m pretty sure you can see the difference in the color of Chris’. We all joked later that the Warrior Dash would be an awesome place to film an Orbit gum commercial. Dirty mouth? I’m thinking OxyClean could have some serious material for their product demos as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment